A lifestyle blog about living a life worthy of God's blessing, sharing my experiences as a mom to twin girls, wife, friend, passion-filled individual, and lover of all! Hopefully will bring some cheer to your day!



Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Drink of Choice


I love the taste of water, I can hardly drink anything else. Nothing quenches my thirst any better and it is almost impossible for me to eat a meal with anything else than water! Does this sound like you?

The truth is that description up there is totally ME, the fact that I drink a lot of water is not something I learned, it has always been this way. Soda makes me unnecessary full that I cannot enjoy a meal but water is just right. If this is natural to you, don’t worry, I have some tips for you to help with your water intake.

First off, I’m sure you want to know why it is important to drink water anyway, here are some of my favorites:
1)      Great Skin – hydration helps your skin, wards off wrinkles
2)      Removes hunger – drinking a full glass of water leaves you satisfied enough to not over indulge in food. Most times when you are hungry, it is actually water calling…
3)      Boosts your energy level, for me a good tall glass of water can wipe away any headache, it’s amazing!
4)      Helps prevent and cure diseases – from the common cold to hypertension, to cancer, to arthritis, to high cholesterol, you name it…
5)      Helps you cool down – it regulates your body temperature especially in these hot and humid summer months

After all your body is about 75% water.

There are many issues to get into when it comes to drinking water, we know all water is not created equal, should it be from the tap, bottled water, filtered and purified? As for me I just keep it simple -  filtered water at work and filtered water at home. When outside I have to resort to bottled water, it’s just easier that way and I pray whatever toxins that exist get flushed out somehow.

My advice is follow the rule of drinking 8 cups of water a day (from 8-ounce cups) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

How do you drink more?
-          If you are sitting at a desk like at work where you spend 8 hours or more of your day. Invest in a water bottle with markings that show the volume/capacity of the container, helps you keep track of your intake
-          If you don’t like the taste of water, try adding a slices of lemon/lime or be fancy and add slices of cucumber, instantly changes the taste
-          Decide the temperature of water you prefer and stick to it e.g room temperature, ice cold or lukewarm

Want a challenge? I challenge you to 7 days on only water and no other drink – coffee, tea, soda, sugary drinks, juice, or alcohol. At the end of 7 days please share how you feel. I feel a little sorry for the coffee drinkers who might feel withdrawal symptoms!

No comments:

Post a Comment